Saturday, August 10, 2013

{Repurpose} Warm-Up Pants into an American Girl Outfit

I LOVE to repurpose old stuff.  So, when we got a hand-me-down warm-up pants with a hole in the knee. After I cut the pants and made them shorts, I put the leftover fabric to the side. With doll clothes on my mind, I decided it was time to convert these scraps to an American Girl Outfit.  











These pants should be 7" wide.


 The crotch is 5 1/2" long. Remember this is working with an existing hem. I do not cut any higher than the 5 1/2". It's not time yet because you will attach them soon.


 Put the to legs of the pants together and pin them together.  Then sew in a U-Shape around the front to the crotch and then around to the back.  If that seems too hard, start at the front and sew to the crotch. Stop. Sew from the back to the crotch. Then trim the excess fabric from the seam. Do not cut the waist line. 








 Measure elastic.


 

You can sew the elastic right onto the material, or just sew the elastic together. Then turn the edge of the outfit under and sew. Be careful not to sew on your elastic.

 

I had to clip the seams around the curve of the pant to make sure there wasn't any pucker around the seam. Here's a Youtube video on clipping curves if it is new to you.

 

Now it's time for the top. I used the same pattern as the top for the Free Ballerina Outfit. I made it a little longer and did not cut leg holes like I would have for the leotard.


Happy Sewing!!
~Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment