Friday, May 18, 2012

Garage Sale Negotiations


When you go to garage sales do you pay the price listed or do you negotiate? If you are interested in trying to get a better deal on things give this a try.  First you look to see everything you are interested in. Add up to determine what the total would be and make an offer.  If the total is $10, I say, "The total is $10 would you be able to take $7?" A lot of it has to do with what you think it's worth. Know what you would be willing to walk away from, and what you really want. Sometimes you will choose to bundle items that you are only interested in if you can get them included in the price for the item you really want. If they don't adjust the price you may not want those items.


Today I had a group of items that I thought were very well priced. They included: Old Navy, Justice, Children's Place, Carter's, Gap, Ralph Lauren, and Cherokee some with tags, but all still in excellent condition.  I wanted all of it. I did a final walk around to make sure I had everything I wanted.  I said, "The total is $17.  Do you have any flexibility in your price?"  The gentleman shrugged his shoulders and said, "I could do $15." Great. That way I walked away with some great gifts, and clothes for my daughter for next year!!!

If I only have one item I am interested in I ask, "Do you have any flexibility in your price?" Be prepared with an idea for the price in case they ask you what you had in mind. With either scenario be comfortable with silence.  Give them time to think. Don't jump in before they talk.



Be on the lookout for Christmas or Birthday presents!  If you have grandparents, then you kids are well loved in the gift department. Don't feel like you need to spend a lot.  My son loves guns, so I bought him this one for a dollar.  He will love it and so will I because it doesn't require any batteries!!



One man's trash... is another man's treasure.  My husband was going to build a remote controlled boat out of two empty two liters. Instead, we found this boat being given away for free!!
It's a great time to get some deals!! I can't wait to hear about yours!!

2 comments:

  1. Zachary recently went to a garage sale and negotiated his purchase. His Economics teacher presented part of the Dave Ramsey program on living debt free and negotiating. Now he wants to attempt to do this for all of his purchases. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    Haha, that is great! Also cool to hear he is learning good principles in economics - and good stuff from Dave Ramsey. Way to go Zachary :)
    Thanks for sharing!! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete