Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Quick Fixes to a Princess Dress Up Costume

My kids love dressing up and making up stories.  My 6-year-old daughter has a Snow Princess dress she was given last Christmas. When I went looking for it, my daughter told me that it needed some fixing. The dress costume fabric frays so easily. I have serged seams before, but couldn't on this problem area.  The silver, glittery edging was off and surrounded by fraying fabric.  I need a quick fix!!


Trim the excess fuzz. Fray Check is great and is at JoAnn's in their notion aisle. Fray Check is not glue. It is liquid that dries hard and prevents fraying. It is about $2.00 without a coupon. You cut the top of the tube to the size you want.  You can insert a pin into the top or cut it depending on how easily you want the liquid to come out. You do not want it to come into contact with other surfaces while it is wet. I folded paper over and placed it on top to dry.



Go along the edge of the fabric. Because I don't want to repeat this process again for another section, I treated the entire area even the part that had not detached yet.


I applied the Fray Check.  You can see where too much came out, but that is not a problem because it dries clear.



Fray Check is great and is at JoAnn's in their notion aisle.  It is about $2.00 without a coupon. You cut the opening the size you want.  You can insert a pin into the top or cut it depending on how easily you want the liquid to come out.


Time to reconnect the edging to the dress.


Sew a zig-zag stich over the decorative edging.  To make the strongest seam, make sure you are sewing on fabric, not the frayed edge.


Trim the frayed fabric.  Make sure you trim over the trash can!! Or you will have a mess.


She's a happy princess!! ~Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment