Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Yet Another Burlap Wreath

The first time I did this, I used an old metal coat hanger. I thought I'd get all professional and splurged on a 2.99 metal frame from Hobby Lobby (that's right, didn't even use a 40% off coupon). The frame created a wreath that is much larger than the coat hanger, but I like the looks of it on my door! This one is for a friend, but I had to "try it out" :) Check out my original tutorial here!


I started with a couple yards of burlap, which I cut into (roughly) 6" wide strips. I have just found this way to be cheapest. You can buy already cut burlap, or burlap ribbon on a reel, but it does tend to be more expensive. The burlap ribbon is a nice option, because the sides are finished and makes a very clean looking wreath. Using strips like this, there is a lot of fraying that takes place and it can look a little messy if you don't fold it and bunch it right. I folded the edges all down and hot glued them in place to hide any ugly edges. However, some people like the more rustic, messy look!





In the above picture, I am trying to show how you can form a loop, push it up through the wreath form, and then push 2 more loops up through. It is hard to explain, see the video below!







Linked Up Here:
House of Rose
Funky Junk
Be Different Act Normal
Project Inspire

6 comments:

  1. So I am just finishing up my burlap wreath. I went with just getting 2 yards and cutting strips of about 8" in width. I definitely recommend getting a burlap ROLL. I was struggling with all the loose/fraying edges. Kind of makes the process frustrating.
    Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had a wedding using miles of burlap. Looking forward to a craft day to repurpose table runners into these beautiful wreaths to give for hostess gifts throughout the holidays. This tutorial is the best one I've seen. I actually think I can do this project thanks to your nifty video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this helpful!! How fun to have all that burlap to use on more fun projects, there are so many possibilities! :)

      Delete
  3. I need to make one of these! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After watching you make this wreath with one hand, I decided that I probably could make one with two! Your wreath is lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good golly I wish I had watched your video and read your tutorial before i got halfway through my burlap wreath - Bwahaha you are a sanity saver - now to go unweave my stupid attempt at my burlap wreath and redo it the way you did it and save my sanity!! Thankyou!!!

    ReplyDelete