Saturday, August 25, 2012

Living Books

The thing I loved best about Sonlight curriculum as a child, was their use of "living books" that brought history to life, rather than being limited to a dry textbook. Many homeschooling families enjoy this approach, and as I searched for the "perfect" curriculum this year, I found that many companies are adopting this philosophy of learning. Now, I am bound and determined to instill a love for reading into my children, and I want to follow this model as close as possible by using quality read-alouds, and early readers of historical fiction and biographies to supplement my history curriculum. 


The reason Sonlight curriculum can be quite costly, is because you get SO MUCH from them. I am grateful that my mom saved most of the books from our years of Sonlight curriculum, and I am always on the hunt for other ways of collecting quality books at a reasonable price. What's nice, is that books lists can be found from a number of sites and discounted books can also be found in a number of ways. Here are some examples I use:

The local library (duh, guess this should be a no brainer!) 
Open Library - A huge on-line collection of ebooks that you can check-out for free! 
A Book in Time - Book lists in chronological order and by age/grade level 
Heart of Dakota Book Store - Lists of books by age level and topic that correspond with their curriculum 
Christianbook.com - I order a lot of stuff through them 
Amazon.com - Also a place I frequent for new and used books 
Sonlight.com - Book lists like this can be found for all their core programs 
Redshift.com - A long list of books in chronological order with levels noted and links to movies that are also based in the noted time periods

Linked-Up Here:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment