Monday, July 9, 2012

Modesty Monday is Here Again...

Happy Modesty Monday! Here I am again, reminding everyone to give some thought to what they are wearing! I warned you all I'd be back to talk about this every single Monday this Summer, right? Well, here's my tip for the day:

Pull your shirt up. I know it totally depends on how you are built. I just so happen to be small in the shoulder area but bigger every where else.... I like to buy larger shirts so they don't cling to stuff in unflattering ways (yes, love handles), but when I buy things bigger, they always end up hanging too low up top or looking too baggy.



Can I remind you all out there in blog land, that clothes off the rack were never meant to fit every body type! No need to get down on yourself, there is a reason you may have a difficult time finding things that flatter or fit right. Clothes produced for the mass retail store are just that, mass produced to fit the "standard" human. Whatever "standard" human may be. Celebrities and people with money have personal stylists and tailors that design clothes specifically for their bodies, and alter things to fit them perfectly and in the most flattering way. If you can learn just a few simple sewing techniques (like, hemming up a pant leg, adding stitches here and there), you too can have custom fit clothing! When in doubt, I buy the larger size dress or bathing suit that I know is going to cover everything I want covered, then I alter it to fit.

It's pretty much standard protocol for me to take my straps up. I usually do so in the non-professional, fastest possible way. Quick and easy! I do a little number like this:

Turn garment inside out and determine how much you want to take up
Sew a seam straight across the strap
This is what it will look like. The access material will be on the inside.
If the fabric is too bulky, I will trim this off or sew it flat against the back of the shirt.
Bonus: This is a dress my husband picked up for me at a thrift store! Score!
But the straps are too long and the neck is too low.
I took the seam out that was holding the straps in place,
then took them up and sewed them back in place.
I also made a nifty little panel that I sewed in place right here!
Oh, what's that? You love talking about modest? Just can't get enough? Well, check out our other posts on the topic of modesty, right here: I <3 Modesty 

No comments:

Post a Comment