Thursday, June 21, 2012

American Flag Bunting Tutorial

With the 4th of July right around the corner and Summer in full swing, I needed something cute and patriotic to add to my front porch. I noticed the other day that most American flags sold in stores can run $10 to $20 on the cheap end. Many of the nice ones are closer to to $50. I wanted to spend under $5. So, I snatched up a bunch of the inexpensive flags on a stick that run for 50 cents to a dollar each and put together this bunting! See below to recreate this look:



Step #1:
Remove the flags from their poles - mine had one staple securing them in there which I just pulled out.


Step #2:
Use a ruler or hard sided book to lightly trace a line from each corner to the center stripe at the bottom of the flag, creating a triangle shape.


Step #3:
A rotary cutter and mat would make this project a breeze (but alas, this was an afterthought). I chose to use a pair of pinking sheers to create a scalloped edge. Cut along the lines you drew in the previous step. 


Step #4:
Thread a ribbon or heavy cord through the opening that used to be for the pole. I used the pole to push my ribbon through.


So simple! Once you've strung the flags together, space them as far apart as you'd like and hang with push pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment