Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Burlap Wreath Tutorial

I spent a LONG time trying to recreate an exact replica of this wreath. I figured out in the end, that they must have used a much thinner burlap, and possibly took several extra steps. My way is super easy and I think it turned out pretty nice! I purchased about a yard and a half of burlap from Hobby Lobby. With a 40% off coupon, it ended up being about $2.50 a yard. I used an old metal hanger (literally, one of the last metal hanger in our house), and a couple sticks of hot glue. Total cost for this project: about $3. Now, if you aren't crafty or just REALLY like this particular wreath, here is the link to the Etsy site where you can buy this one! Burlap Wreath on Etsy Oh, by the way, it's $65 But hey, it's super cute!

*Check out my updated tutorial here!










First I formed the hanger into a circle. I cut the burlap into long strips, no more than 12" wide. Then, I folded these strips in half. I simply fed the metal hanger through the burlap, weaving it up and down, twisting the burlap on occasion to give it a more bunched up look. There really was no clear cut way of doing this. You really just have to play around with it till you get the look you are going for. I used the hot glue to poof certain spots and make it stay exactly where I wanted it. Then, glued the backside in various spots to keep the burlap from sliding around. Have fun!



*Check out my updated tutorial here!

No comments:

Post a Comment