Friday, August 16, 2013

DIY Easy American Girl Ball Gown

My daughter, Natalie loves to sew with me, and she loves having clothes made for her American Girl Doll. I try to tell her not every little girl gets a new outfit each week, but it does not seem to sink in. So, almost every day she is asking to make something for Caroline and something for her to match. Last time I was at Goodwill I saw two matching skirts and jumped on it. 









 I pinned the skirt on Natalie wrong side out and then just cut straight down. 


Because the fabric was so fine, I decided to do a french seam. Here's a tutorial on how to do a french seam. Again the hem was already done and everything!


 

Once I started to measure, Natalie loved the ball gown look on Caroline, so they aren't an exact match, but that was easier for me because then I didn't need to hem this one either.


 

I cut it 12 inches wide, and sewed the side seam. I used a french seam again, so you would want to try it on the doll if you don't because it would be about 5/8th's smaller with just a regular stitch. 




 I sewed the front straps on first. I sewed the unfinished edge of the ribbon to the dress, and then folded the ribbon up and sewed along the edges of the ribbon to reinforce and keep the shape of the ribbon. I did the same thing on the back, but decided to do a criss-cross design. It is tight to get on. If your daughter needs to get it on more easily, you could attach with Velcro.



Matching Outfits!! ~Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment