Thursday, December 13, 2012

Loving Annoying People

Do you have any enemies? I don't like to believe I do. But, ya know what we all can admit to having in our lives? People we just don't like. People that get under our skin, that rub us the wrong way, that we don't agree with or we'd rather just avoid. These people can be siblings, parents, friends from church, neighbors or coworkers. With the holiday season upon us, maybe these are the people you're stuck spending extra time with...

I've had this passage of scripture tucked away from a sermon I heard several months ago. It's a good one, read it with me:
If you come across your enemy's ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to take it back to him. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure to help him with it. (Exodus 23:4-5)
Now, the word enemy is a very strong word, so is the word hate. Unless you live on a farm, in the Middle East or in an Amish community, you may not be a costumed to speaking in terms of donkey's and oxen. Let's substitute a few of the words and try reading it this way:
If you come across your annoying neighbor's child or pet wandering off, be sure to take it back to him. If you see the child of someone who's generally annoyed with you heading for trouble, do not leave him there; take him by the hand and guide him to safety. (Exodus 23:4-5 paraphrased)
Now, from what I know of scripture, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to try and have a good attitude on top of all this. Notice, this passage is not directed at specific people (like "children's ministry workers" or "kid people"). Maybe you're not a kid person, or a dog person, the point is to go out of your way to help someone you don't like or that may not like you. Pretty counter-cultural don't ya think? Not only should our outward actions show love to those we dislike, "your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" (Philipians 2:5).
Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice. (Proverbs 24:17)
Or how about this:
Do not gloat when a person that annoys you loses. When the person you don't really like makes a mistake, don't secretly find enjoyment. (Proverbs 24:17 paraphrased)
The best way to handle feelings of hatred, annoyance, bitterness, and distrust is to forgive and let God handle the outcome. I'm not saying we have to be push-overs. There is a place for action and a time stand up for what's right. There are higher authorities put in place to protect us, and courses of action laid out in God's Word for dealing with people living in sin, when to practice tough love, etc. But, even when justice must be served, discipline must be administered, the truth must be told and corrections made, everything should be done through love.
But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. (Luke 6:35)
Why love your enemies? Because, as I am always reminded when singing these words "...I will hold your people in my heart" God loves people. So often I lose sight of people, I forget how much God loves the world, what he did for the world. There are a lot of people that annoy me and cause me moments of frustration. I get frustrated with people in the media, people in my family, people that just don't seem to ever "get it." At times, my frustrations are grounded and legitimate, at times they are not. But what I really want is to be able to say these words with sincerity:

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours

Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity
(Hillsong: Hosanna)

3 comments:

  1. Love this so much, we cannot be reminded enough to love like God, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thanks for reading (and commenting)!! I'm so happy to get feedback :)

      Delete
  2. Incredible words of wisdom! Thank you for sharing your insight.

    ReplyDelete