Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Meal Swap or Once A Month Cooking: Southwest Vegetarian Bake

Yum! This recipe freezes really well and tastes really good when prepared! Here are the steps:
First, I cooked the rice in two batches because my rice maker is too small for 4 cups.

I added some diced tomatoes to the first batch of rice to be sure that it did not stick together.


The Mexicorn should be rinsed and drained.


Combine the rest of the ingredients together.


I chose to use mild salsa because it was going to three other families.


I divided the batches in two, so it was easier to stir.


You must label your bags or else you will forget!!


I used two measuring containers and my canning funnel to fill the bags.  I find that four cups works well for me. That way they are all consistent and not too full.

Here's the Recipe
3/4 Cup brown rice (cook it)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Mexicorn, drained
1 can (10oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 Cup Salsa
1 Cup reduced fat sour cream
1 Cup (4oz) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 Cup chopped red onion
1 can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 Cup (4 oz) shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend

Directions
Make the rice according to the directions on the package. In a large bowl, combine the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper, and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2 1/4 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Nutritional Analysis:
1 Cup equals 284 calories, 10g fat, 7 g fiber, 16 grams protein

I replaced the diced tomatoes and green chilies and just used diced tomatoes to make sure it wasn't too hot for anyone. I omitted the onions and the olives because those are not always popular. I omitted the Mexican cheese. Normally I would use all of those ingredients. Also, if I am not quadruppeling the recipe I still find it to be too much for our family, so I automatically split it and freeze one.

No comments:

Post a Comment