Friday, August 3, 2012

IXL.com A Great Website for Math - Try It Free

Click Here to Try It Free
Where have I been?  It seems like everyone knows about the website ixl.com, but me. Over the past year I have had two other homeschooling moms refer it to me, but I never got around to making it happen.  I finally plugged in, and the kids are loving it.  Natalie is 5 and takes it very seriously if she misses a question. She loves getting her medals! (Awards that show up on the screen after you answer so many questions successfully) Noah is 3 and loves the fact that he's on the computer! I love the fact that he is working on Pre-K Math. Fortunately for me, if you click it will read the questions and answers for you since he's a touch shy of reading math problems :)

How does it work? You are able to pick any grade that you want starting with Pre-K through Algebra. The great part is you have access to your state's standards for each grade, and you get  performance tracking for each child. For example, if I ask Natalie to complete the section on reading clocks, I can see how much time she spent, how many questions she attempted, and get a grading of the questions she answered: mastered, satisfactory, needs improvement.

If a question is answered incorrectly, the answer is explained. They both learn in a fun and easy way. I find that review is very important, but I don't always remember to do it. For example, she learned all of her shapes a couple of years ago and I noticed recently she was struggling with the difference between a hexagon and octagon.  Now I am able to have her click on shapes and she gets to play for her review.

Yesterday a friend came over with her girls and ixl.com was still up on the computer. She started to go on and on about how much fun her girls have with the website.  I thought, "Really!?!, I am the last one!" So, if you have not heard of it before or just have not gotten around to checking it out, do it!! Twenty free problems are available per day. You will not have access to tracking performance that way, but you can get an idea of what the problems are and if your kids are addicted like mine. ~Julia

3 comments:

  1. I decided to get it for my kids. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I love this ixl - but today we're having trouble logging onto the site - is anyone else having the same problem? Or just us New Zealanders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried to log in and it was successful. I haven't had any trouble before. I hope that all is well for you now.

    ReplyDelete