Sunday, January 29, 2012

Why Homeschool? (Part 1)

Let me say this first: 
I find it impossible to explain why I am pro homeschooling without sounding anti public schooling. 

However, I am most definitely NOT anti public school and acknowledge the need for good teachers and schools in our country. The fact is, children need a thorough education and many parents are not able to (or should not) personally provide that for them based on various conflicts. Every good parent is ultimately interested in choosing what is best for their child, and many parents make the choice to send their children to public schools because they believe it to be the best option for their child. So, here is your out: if you have chosen to send your children to a public school, please don't feel the need to explain to me your reasoning as if I am going to look at you differently and pass swift judgment on your obvious lack of concern for your child's well-being (did you pick up on my sarcasm?). I face enough flack and criticism for my choice to homeschool, I am not out to criticize you for your choice in public schooling.

Though I would readily repeat this disclaimer to a friend who is advocating public schools, I would just as readily turn to a friend who is contemplating home education and tell them that 

I believe homeschooling is a completely valid option and that with a varying degree of sacrifice and hard work, ANY parent can successfully home educate their child. 


Not every parent SHOULD home educate, and not every parent feels called or compelled. However, if you are contemplating homeschooling, sense that your child is not responding and progressing well educationally, or feel increasingly disheartened by the negative messages and influence your child is receiving in their classroom, it may be time to seriously consider how homeschooling would work in the life of your family. Before I go on, I wont fail to mention that there ARE other valid alternatives to public schooling such as Christian schools and charter schools, but for the purpose of this discussion I will focus specifically on home educating.

I am the product of homeschooling from Kindergarten through 12th grade. 

I'm not the brightest, most intellectual example of a homeschooled student, but I did enroll in a community college my senior year of high school and completed 12 college credit hours with a 4.0 average by the time i graduated. I did go on to complete a college degree, and have lived a very happy and satisfying life. Never did I feel deprived of anything during my childhood and never did I feel that I've struggled socially due to my years of homeschooling. On the contrary, I have always been very secure in who I am, confident and goal driven. I am very grateful for my mother's sacrifice of her time to homeschool the three of us and to instill in us the things that are most important; faith and commitment to Christ. 

There are many examples of homeschooled students that have excelled, far beyond their years, academically. There is no question that if a student has the potential, the one-on-one attention they receive from a committed parent, along with a thorough curriculum, will produce an academically solid student who will excel in college and beyond. 

But, I'm not interested in that part as much as I am in raising spiritually sound, God fearing, polite, compassionate, confident leaders that will make a positive difference in the world. 

I don't doubt that they would get a decent education in the public school system, and I don't doubt my own ability to give them a good education. Most importantly, however, is that I can personally give them a much better moral and biblical foundation to build their lives on than anyone else. I feel called to give my children the best spiritual foundation I can give them, and I feel convicted that homeschooling is the best choice I can currently make. 

To be Continued... 

If you are contemplating homeschooling and want a very thorough teacher's perspective and step-by-step resource, I would highly recommend the book: The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home

Click on the above link to be directed to an Amazon page where it can be purchased! 

1 comment: