Friday, November 16, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments


They're fun, they're easy and they're inexpensive! These are not your mama's salt dough ornaments! Well, they kind of are. People have been making these things for ages, but mine turned out pretty cool looking if I do say so myself :)



Salt Dough Recipe
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Flour
Water


I added a bit of vanilla and cinnamon to this dough the last time I made it. It gave it a nice color and a little bit of a scent, at least while baking!

Mix ingredients together, adding enough water to create a play dough like consistency. Spread flour on your surface and roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to create shapes and poke holes with a straw. Place on cookie sheets and bake at 200 degrees for 2 to 3 hours, turning every 1/2 hour or so.



Decorate using puff paint, regular paints, sparkles and/or embellishments. Hang using ribbon or twine! There are so many possibilities, my kids love having the freedom to do whatever they want. I know these hold up well, but I did spray a clear protective coat on the fronts of each ornament once it was painted, just for an added measure. The spray on the front alone did not alter the scent at all. Store in a cool, dry place while not in use. Ornaments that have been stored in the attic didn't last long. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment