Monday, October 15, 2012

Grandma's Stacking Cups Quilt


Quilt Back

My Grandma loves to quilt.  She produces more quilts than anyone I know.  Grandma gets up around 5:30 and goes into her sewing room and works until 7:00. If my Grandpa comes in early for breakfast, he gets the reminder that it isn't 7:00 yet. As long as I can remember, she has made quilts for graduations, weddings, babies and surgeries. Now she is getting extra inventive! My nephew, Matthew, has competed and done well for several years in stacking cups competitions. Grandma did the front in a tumbler pattern, which looks a lot like stacking cups. Then she appliqued stacking cups on the back of the quilt for an extra special touch. 


Quilt Front

Nathan, my oldest nephew, designs computer games, so Grandma made a quilt for him that looked like his computer game.  She worked with their older sister, Angela to help her make her own quilt. The youngest of the four, Alyssa, kept asking, "Grandma, where's my quilt?".  Happy to oblige, Grandma whipped up a princess quilt you can see in the picture below.



I made my first quilt with grandma when I was in sixth grade. We pieced it and quilted it by hand. I will always cherish the memories I have sewing with my Grandma. Waneta Fern Farlow. Thank you for investing in my life, and the lives of so many others. I LOVE YOU!!

~Your Granddaughter, Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment