Wednesday, August 8, 2012

National Night Out 2012: Lessons in Safety and Obedience

National Night Out is an awareness program held the first Tuesday of August. The main theme at ours was emergency preparedness. I thought my kids were prepared, but found out in a unique way they were not. We started the night well. Natalie and I went around to the different stations and learned about...


What an emergency shower station would look like for a chemical spill.



What kind of supplies families should have to last for
three days without help from the government.


We were taken into a camper and smoke poured in the top of the room.
We were then asked to crawl out. A great time to ensure your kids
 have been exposed to that concept. 


As the storm clouds rolled in, we were able to see what a
disaster ambulance looked like inside. 


And the Coast Guard made a
grand entrance!! 


The kids definitely had fun, too!! 


After we completed all the stations, and had fun in the firetruck sprinklers and bounce houses, it was time for the bike drawing. In order to win, you needed to be present. With the impending clouds, the crowds were down significantly by 8:00. As a result, they kept calling numbers with no response. By the time the last bike was ready to be given away, the volunteers were ready to be done. So, they said whoever is the first person on the stage gets the bike. I grabbed Natalie's hand, thinking it would increase our chances to win if an actual child got there, and started running. She applied what she had learned in the fire demonstration and without any hesitation did the stop, drop and roll. I could not believe it. I was shocked that she would not go with me when it was clear what she was expected to do. 

I asked her what was going on. She said, Mom I would have liked you to ask me if I wanted to go up. I said, Natalie, there was not time to ask you. You just needed to come with me. After more discussion, I found out she did not want to go on the stage. 

If this had been an emergency, something I didn't have time to explain, what would her response have been? I could have forceably taken her, but I have two other children and she is my oldest. I explained to her that she would need to do what she could to help. Getting angry with me is not an option. We have a saying at our house: Obey first, ask questions second. I guess we have some more work to do.

I would challenge you the next time you consider letting some form of discipline go think, "Will my child obey me the first time I ask without explanation?" Ephesians 6:1, "Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right." ~Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment