Thursday, May 3, 2012

Write It On the Doorframe of Your Home

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:5-9
We are a forgetful people! Deuteronomy 6 is a passage originally directed to the people of Israel, not long after they had been freed from the hands of Pharaoh and witnessed the parting of the Red Sea. Yet, they grew forgetful and unappreciative of all God had done for them. We all the more, need constant reminders to keep our focus on God and to keep His Word on the forefront of our minds. Take this passage literally! Surround yourself with scripture. Write memory verses on index cards and tape them in your car. Use window markers to write on your mirrors at home. Write out verses on pretty paper and hang them on the fridge. Incorporate verses into your decor - there are so many nice wall stickers available today at Hobby Lobby, Kohls, etc. Impress upon your children the importance of hiding God's Word in their hearts by living it out in a practical, tangible way.
   
How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. Psalm 119:9-16

Etsy has a wide variety of these available, plus the option of customizing. Wall decals are also available at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabric, Michael's, and Kohl's to name a few. Check out the variety also available on Amazon: Vinyl Wall Decals on Amazon

Children are great at memorization! Teach Bible verses when they are young and you will be amazed at how well they memorize and retain. There are whole chapters of scripture that I memorized as a child and can still, quickly bring to mind. I am grateful i learned them while young, because it is much more difficult now that I am sleep deprived and have had three kids turn my brain to mush! Many children are great audio learners. Play scripture songs in the background while driving, eating breakfast, etc. Some great options can be found here:

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment