Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Trendy To Do's (for Spring!)

Hey, I may be a  
Stay-at-Home, Pastor's Wife,  
Homeschooling, Mom of 3 
but that doesn't mean I can't keep up with the latest trends, right?? 

I have always imagined there is a fashion scale, between things that are way too trendy for the average human to pull off and the things that have long overstayed their welcome on the clothing racks of every small town store. I imagine the scale looks something like this:
 
*Most Trendy*  
1. Trend-Setting Style - So trendy it's not even trendy yet
   2. Up-To-Date Trendy - Still slightly edgy because most people have not caught on yet
      3. Mainstream Trendy - It's Cool, everybody's wearing it
          4. Too Trendy - It's Not Really Cool Anymore because EVERYONE is wearing it 
             5. OK, This Style Just Needs to Go Away Already
               *Least Trendy* 
I like to believe on a normal, everyday basis, I fall somewhere in between the "up-to-date trendy" and "mainstream trendy" category. I'd like to say I pull off slightly trendy, without weirding people out by trying too hard and coming off too over-the-top for normal life (hey, I'm a mom after all). I've never really been a trend setter, and I'd like to think of myself as "edgy" but I think my sister literally laughed in my face one day when I used that term to describe myself. With that said, I'd like to share the Spring trends I am most excited about and how they translate into everyday life for the normal, average human being.

1. Color, Color, Color
 Bold colors, color blocking, colored skinnies, neon, love it!
Even if you went out and only bought one pair of skinnies in a particular color - even if that color is white because everything else is just a little too crazy for you - you'll be all set! Everyone is catching onto this trend by now so you can pretty much find them anywhere (Kohls, Target, Express, H&M, Gap,etc). I was a little scared of this when I first saw them because I wondered how the bright colors would flatter my figure. For that reason, I will probably always stay away from light, bright colors like yellow and white and opt for the darker pink/red or purple/blue. Incorporating something bright or neon into your wardrobe is so fun!
    
2. Quirky Prints and 90's Style
Birds, large floral, cats, stars, really? This trend is, well, quirky. I have to say though, that I actually bought a fun apple print dress on    the clearance rack a few weeks ago before knowing this was a big trend in the making. So, boy do I feel cutting edge! Oh, and do you remember when your parents were freaking out because the 70's styles were coming back, and everyone was rushing to the thrift stores to buy stuff up? Then, it happened with 80's trends. Now, the 90's are back in full swing. I have to admit, I had a slight melt down last year when I noticed the exact dress at H&M that I had owned as a child. I now know how my parents must have felt. But, what are ya going to do? Don't fight it - go for it! I've already been hitting up Valueworld in search of 90's dresses for this Summer, before everyone catches on and buys them out. For those of you that never get rid of anything, you may be in luck - because you still have your clothes from the 90's hanging in your closet!

3. Mint Green
I've seen this popping up everywhere, and something tells me it's going to be one of those colors that instantly updates any outfit.
 
Nothing New 
(But Sorry) I Still Love: 

1. Chevron/Zig Zag Prints
This style is moving further and further towards the mainstream trendy, and I'm hoping it's not going to become too overdone for a while because I still love it!
 
2. Birds and Owls
I am still a sucker for anything with birds and owls on it, even though they have become more and more overdone. They have, sadly, lost their edge. The big question now is, what's the next edgy animal going to be??

3. Leggings
I will cry the day leggings become so overdone and out of style I can no longer wear them. They got me through my last 2 pregnancies and now, I just love the comfort. I feel they hold everything together in just the right spots. Here's the thing, ladies please, think of leggings as just a step up from tights. The thicker the legging material (heavy cotton, jeggings) the shorter the shirt you can get away with wearing over them. But as a general rule, shirts should be "tunic" length, at least to mid thigh but never below the knee. Leggings are also handy for layering under dresses that may be too short to wear otherwise.
 
4. Flats
I am so out of practice wearing heals since flats first became popular. I love them and am excited for all the new colorful ones out this spring!

 5. Belts
Skinny and Wide -  a belt around the outside of a cardigan can really make a fun update to your look or ad definition to the waist.

6. Headbands and Hair Wraps
Cute for dressing up a casual Summer style or simple pony tail. I like wearing them pulled down slightly over the forehead. Check out my friend Joanna's super cute selection of hair wraps on her Etsy page: Etsy Shop: Sparrows and Poppies My friend Rachel has a really nice selection of jeweled hair bands to add a little sparkle to your look. Find them here: Lilla Rose 

I do love fashion, but I'm also a huge fan of modesty. I get so agitated by other sisters in Christ that don't seem to be fans at all. I realize it is somewhat of a gray area for many people, and it is hard to draw a line without sounding legalistic, but please sisters, at least try! Not only do you risk sending the wrong message by what you wear, looking tacky, trashy or unprofessional, but if you really cared about your brothers in Christ and guarding their purity, you'd think twice about what you wear. I realize that different body types and trouble spots can present various challenges, and we all have had our own "wardrobe malfunctions" at times. But, let's put out a little more effort, shall we? Before leaving the house, or buying an outfit: bend over (does it expose anything on top or from behind?), bend from side to side (does it too easily move around and expose other things?) if you were standing up on a stage or stairs and someone was lower than you, how much would be visible? The same goes for if someone was looking down at you from a higher point. How tight is too tight? What area is that shirt or pants attracting attention to? Just think about it. I'm also a huge fan of being comfortable and safe. If I put something on that I know I will constantly be tugging at, pulling down, pulling up, buttoning up, pulling together, sucking in... I'll usually just opt not to wear it. When in doubt, wear a long tank top or a higher necked cami underneath, pin things in place, ad some stitches or layer a flowy cardigan over a tight shirt. You in no way need to sacrifice style by dressing modestly!    

No comments:

Post a Comment