Saturday, July 21, 2012

Our Boxes Came!

We were so excited to come home today and find 2 boxes waiting for us on the porch! I knew right away what they must be. Let me tell you, I placed both the Heart of Dakota and the Christianbook.com order on Tuesday and they both arrived today! That's with standard shipping. Pretty impressive! Natalie was very excited. Taylor on the other hand, was a bit disappointed. The boxes everything came in were not big enough to fit his entire body...

Looking through everything, I am pretty happy with this selection. Initially, I am a little disappointed that the Heart of Dakota teacher's guide is bound, rather than in a spiral or 3 ring notebook. I was hoping to put it into my own binder. O well, minor details.



Pictured above is an inside view of the Heart of Dakota teacher's guide, and below is a side view.


I had a quick feeling of regret for buying the complete Horizon's Math kit. My thought was, could I have made do without the teacher's guide and saved a lot of money? But, after looking through it, I think the teacher's guide is going to be a very nice thing to have (it includes answer keys, scope and sequence, assessment tests, worksheets, and daily lesson plans).


Being a very visual learner myself, I love that Horizons is colorful and visually appealing. My only gripe about the teachers guide, is that it too is not spiral bound and includes reproducible worksheets that will be a pain to copy. Horizons does offer these worksheets in an unbound format on their website for an additional $10, but I'd really appreciate a free PDF version since I did already purchase the curriculum!


None of the books are overwhelmingly huge. They are all lightweight and colorful from what I can tell!

Pictured above is the American Pioneers and Patriots history textbook we will be using (though the word "textbook" may be a bad word to use because I instantly think: dry and boring) This book is pretty small and colorful!


Pictured here is the Boys and Girls of Colonial Days. 

The God's Wonderful Works science book, pictured below, looks fun! I like the way it is set up, to cover earth science by focusing on the 6 days of creation and what God created on each of those days.



Pictured above is the Stories of the Pilgrims book.


Of course I will be adding in a stack of 20 or so, other early readers, biographies, and literature books to go along with this pile! I will refer in later posts, to the book lists I will be using. It's nice to know though, that this is my core. Everything that needs to be covered is right here. There will be days we only cover the basics. However, throughout the year I also hope to add in and enrich these core subjects with activities, stories and projects that will speak to Natalie's specific learning style, interests and gifts. After all, that is one of the best parts about homeschooling!

4 comments:

  1. I just put in orders for most of our curriculum today. It's such a big job! I look forward to when the boxes come though, and the kids get excited when they see all of those new, unexplored books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Patricia! I loooove how excited the kids get over receiving books :) I hope your boxes arrive quickly and you have a wonderful school year!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reviewing Heart of Dakota. I was wondering about that one. What grades did you use them for? I have a five year old daughter. Do you think it would appeal to a little girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Sue! Yes, we have been enjoying HOD. My daughter turned 6 in Nov. and we went with "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory" which is designed for kids age 6 to 8. I have been very happy with it as a first grade level curriculum. A friend of mine is also using it with her 7 year old boy who is in 2nd grade, she is also very impressed. It's very simple, but gives you PLENTY of optional work, which is why I love it. It keeps me on track, without overwhelming me, and it has everything laid out with no need for lesson planning. I have REALLY enjoyed Horizons math, which is not what they recommend, but it's what we chose to use. Let me know if you have any other questions!! ~Sarah

      Delete