Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Decisions, Decisions


Well, it's official. I've laid out money and have committed to a program! I had made the decision a while ago, to use a structured program that would come with a teachers guide and lesson plans already laid out for each day. I've pieced together my own preschool and kindergarten material for Natalie, and will be again this year for Taylor, but really wanted the simplicity and structure of a program for 1st grade.


After weeks of pouring over reviews and revisiting all the programs I had used as a child or heard about in recent months, I've gone with something new! I had never heard of Heart of Dakota publishing before, but after reading about it on Cathy Duffy's web site, purchasing her 101 Top Picks book, and searching the internet for unbiased reviews, I was impressed by what other people have been saying about it. I purchased it today, and from what I hear, due to their family run business and great customer service, should expect to receive it soon!

Here's what I ordered for Natalie's First Grade Year of School

The Economy Package from Heart of Dakota - which includes:
  • Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory Teachers Guide (designed for ages 6-8) Check out the simplicity of their set-up (love it)! Beyond Little Hearts Sample Page
  • American Pioneers and Patriots (Christian Liberty Press)
  • Stories of the Pilgrims (Christian Liberty Press)
  • Boys and Girls of Colonial Days
Rather than order the deluxe package through them, I chose to purchase their recommended science book, but went with Horizons math instead of Singapore math (which is what they use). I ordered the following through christianbook.com:
I already have a lot of extra resources, learning aides, elective material, etc. A couple of the books I already own and plan on using include:
  • The Explode the Code series 
  • The Italics Handwriting series
The teachers guide for Heart of Dakota includes spelling lists and lessons, as well as suggested activities to go along with each day's reading in history, science, math, etc. I bought the Hide 'Em in Your Heart CD because I've wanted a copy anyways, and they tie in the songs with a weekly memory verse. I will be using my own Bible curriculum (probably building off of whatever our church is using this Fall for the Wednesday night Kids Club lessons). I will also be using my own literature, early readers and read-alouds. After years of using Sonlight Curriculum as a child, I am grateful to my mom for saving most of the readers! Because of this, in addition to the local library, I have quite an extensive collection of books to go along with our study in American history. Reading lists are available through Heart of Dakota and Sonlight, which can be handy guides.

I have a friend that will be ordering this same package, with the exception of a different choice in math, to use with her son that will be in second grade. Our kids will be studying the same period in history and science, but will use math curriculum tailored to their individual levels and needs. Since Natalie is my oldest, and the only one I am purchasing a formal curriculum for this year, we will put Heart of Dakota to the test! My plan in the future is to keep all three of my kids studying the same period in history. That may or may not be possible, using Heart of Dakota, but that can be decided later.

I spent about $200 dollars on all this, which I am pretty happy with considering most of the items will be reusable for my other 2 kids. I did a quick check of the usual places (Amazon, Ebay, Halfpricebooks.com and others) and didn't find any better prices than just ordering through the two places I mentioned above. I wanted to order what I could, through Heart of Dakota anyways, knowing they are a family owned and operated business. 
That's all for now! What will you be using this Fall?
~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment